Saturday, December 22, 2007

Hungry birds posing for the camera

I've been inspired by my daughter to try my hand at blogging. This is going to cover random subjects despite the blog title. I have enjoyed playing around with digital cameras the last few years, mostly taking closeups of flowers and the like. I like to compose them to make useful wallpaper for our computers.

It has been raining a lot lately and when we got a sun break this afternoon (aka a sunny day in Seattle) the birds came to the feeders in droves. We had just replaced the platform feeder with a new plastic one (called a "dinner bell") in an attempt to foil the squirrels and I was watching the chickadees getting used to it. Hmmm... so many to chose from:


I grabbed my camera and tripod and cranked up the zoom and started snapping photos from the warmth of the kitchen. However, shooting through the double paned glass wasn't the best so I picked up and went outside for some shots of the other feeder. Of course that scared all the birds away for a while so I waited in the cold and eventually got a few decent poses from the finches.



These were taken while I was hiding low next to the patio table about 20 feet away with the camera cranked up to full 12x zoom.

.-.-. (AR in Morse which is shorthand for "end-of-message")